The New Covent Garden Market has been part of London life since 1670, when Charles II granted a charter to the Earl of Bedford to hold a market in the West End area. Over time, it grew to become one of the city’s main suppliers – fresh produce and flowers have been sourced directly from the market by many of the capital’s restaurants, cafés and hotels for centuries.